Clive Nicholson, the clubs first long-standing president, always dreamt of forming a sports and social club that would cater for and endow all branches of local sport. His friendship with a man called Dudley Locke, whom president at the time, Mr Les Wilson described as the founder of the club, and Locke's enthusiastic and infectious support saw this dream become reality (South Coast Express, 14/10/64).
Since 1952, through the many good times and some not-so-good times, Ilawarra Leagues has provided services to its members and support to the community in many different forms.
The significance of the building itself lies in its association with the Illawarra Leagues Club. It is an old building that has been renovated countless times, however the character of the place had been successfully retained, and that is what is most important.
Construction of the building would not have been possible without cash donations made by all of the early members, many of whom were also involved in construction by working on a voluntary basis on weekends.
The building today is the physical item that we have to show for the legacy of these early members and the many years of service and support Illawarra Leagues has given to the community.
Illawarra Leagues has given people a place to meet for over 50 years, and is home to many treasured memories. It documents the history of sport in Wollongong, with many photographs and other memorabilia items on display at the club today.
Click on a picture to view a larger size